If you have been exposing your skin under the sun without protection then you can expect that your skin would start showing signs of aging. Are you seeing wrinkles and fine lines already on your skin? The sun’s UV rays cause the most damage in skin. UV rays actually penetrate deep down your skin damaging DNA and collagen. The sad part is UV rays also cause skin cancer. This is why you should be serious in protecting your skin against the damaging effects of the sun.
Of course you should not totally avoid the sun. You still need sun exposure. In fact you get Vitamin D from the sun. Without the sun we would not even exist. So don’t go about cursing the sun but instead ensure that you do well in protecting your skin against its harmful effects.
Tips to Protect the Skin from UV Rays
If you want the skin to avoid getting battered everyday by the sun’s UV rays then follow these tips.
- Catch some sunshine between the hours of 8 in the morning and 10 in the morning. The sun’s UV rays are strongest by noon time so do your best to avoid being outdoors or exposed under the sun especially at this hour. The early morning sun is your best time to give your skin some healthy sunlight exposure, however don’t stay too long under the sun. Maybe 30 minutes to 45 minutes would be enough. An hour maybe too much.
- Don’t forget to protect your skin with sunscreen lotion everyday. Whether it’s snowing or clouds are blocking the sun you should still lather on sunscreen lotion before going outdoors. UV rays still penetrate even thick clouds and do as much damage.
- Many people think that sunscreen lotion should only be used when the skies are clear and the sun is shining down. Some people even think that sunscreen lotion should only be used when going to the beach. Don’t make this mistake. Remember that every time you will be under the sun you need to put on sunscreen lotion.
- You should also see to it that you wear protective clothing when you would be under the sun. Wear a hat and cool clothes when you would spend some time outdoors. It is best that you use white coloured clothing as light would be reflected keeping you much cooler. Clothes made of cotton are also your best pick.
- Moisturise your skin daily. Use a moisturiser like Argan oil as it has components like Ferulic acid that keeps the skin protected from the damaging effects of UV rays. The Argan oil also has many components beneficial for the skin such as Vitamin E, essential unsaturated fatty acids, Sterols, Linoleic acid, Polyphenols, Prostaglandins, Squalene and other antioxidants.
- If the sun is glaring and the days are just too hot, avoid doing much outdoor activities. If for example you love playing outdoor sports such as tennis, try your best to play early in the morning to avoid exposing your skin to the sun at its strongest hours.