When it comes to premature skin aging, the sun is the number one culprit. But there are other factors that make the skin age faster than it normally does. Here are tips from dermatologist to prevent the skin from aging at a faster rate.
Tips to Prevent Premature Skin Aging
1. Protect the skin from the sun every single day. Whether you are going to the beach or just going out for some errands, protecting your skin from the sun is essential. So lather on sunscreen with broad spectrum protection and an SPF 30, seek shade, and cover up with clothing. Here’s an important reminder. Wearing of sunscreen is a must every day, no matter the season.
2. Avoid getting a tan. Basking under the sun to get that beautiful tan actually ages your skin. Remember that the sun (thanks to its UV rays) is the number one culprit of skin aging. The same is true when you get a tan from tanning beds and any other indoor tanning equipment. This is because tanning equipment emit harmful UV rays just like the sun and these UV rays ages the skin quickly. If you must get a tan, applying a self-tanner can be an option.
3. Stop smoking. If you do smoke, start quitting now. Cigarettes actually age the skin really fast. Aside from giving you wrinkles and a dull, sallow complexion, smoking is bad for your overall health. Smoking damages the heart, lungs, and blood vessels. It also raises your risk of developing cancers especially lung cancer.
4. Minimize your alcohol intake. Alcohol is actually tough on the skin. Not only does it dehydrate the skin, it damages it in time resulting in an older-looking skin. So consume alcohol moderately. Don’t drink like a fish.
5. Follow a healthy and balanced diet. Your diet should have carbohydrates, protein, and fiber in balanced proportions. You should make sure that your meals include fresh fruits and vegetables as studies suggest that fresh fruits and vegetables may actually help prevent damage that causes premature skin aging. You should also avoid eating lots of sugar and other food items packed with refined carbohydrates as a number of studies suggest that they can speed up the rate at which the skin ages.
6. Make time for exercise. If you can’t exercise every single day, try your very best to exercise most days of the week. Studies suggest that moderate exercise can actually bolster the immune system and improve circulation. So not only is exercise good for your health, it is also great for the skin. Notice how after exercising, your skin sports this glow? Do it regularly and you’ll see a vast improvement on your skin.
7. Sleep for at least 8 hours at night. It is during night time that the skin repairs and renews itself. The process of skin repair and renewal takes about 8 hours. So make sure that you get about 8 hours of sleep everyday.
Follow these tips to prevent premature skin aging.
Do you have other anti-aging tips? We’d love to hear from you!
Like our Facebook page and share this post to your friends.