A smile happens in a flash, but its memory can last a lifetime. The anonymous person who popularized this quote definitely knows what he is talking about. Nothing lights up your face and makes you look beautiful better than a smile. So much attention can be focused on one’s lips this is why lipstick sales are never going down.
But your beautiful smile may not last a long time. None of the signs of skin aging can ruin your smile quite like lip wrinkles do. Lip wrinkle is definitely something you’d rather not deal with at all. Along with sagging neck skin and crow’s feet, lip wrinkle is yet another concern of many women around the world.
What causes lip wrinkles?
Lip wrinkles occur in your lips themselves, appearing as fine line lines initially which gradually becomes deeper. The wrinkles can also occur on the skin surrounding your mouth, beginning at the base and then travelling up or down.
Wrinkles are bound to happen at some stage in our life. As we age, the layers of our skin undergo changes that eventually lead to loss of elasticity causing the skin to wrinkle and sag. Factor in the effects of your lifestyle, constant sun exposure and eating habits and you are a prime candidate for premature aging.
Smoking is considered as the major cause of lip wrinkles. Cigarette smoke dries out the skin and damages individual cells. The damaged skin makes it more difficult for the cells to repair and renew itself. Smoking depletes vitamin C reserves in your body. This inhibits cell rebuilding, reduces plumpness and firmness of the cells. Thus, smokers are more likely to develop lip wrinkles earlier than non-smokers.
Some scientists suggest that pursing the lips is another factor in the development of lip wrinkles. And smokers are constantly pursing their lips when they puff on their cigarettes.
Lip waxing is also one culprit being blamed for lip wrinkles. Lip waxing stretches the skin as the wax is pulled away. The abnormal stretching is very likely to show up as lines and wrinkles.
Preventing lip wrinkles
Here are some tips on how to prevent and reduce the appearance of lip wrinkles.
- If you are a smoker, the best thing for you to do is to quit lighting up. Smoking damages not only the skin on your lips but your whole body and your lungs, too.
- Avoid lip waxing.
- Use lip balm on your lips especially during winter to retain moisture.
- Apply Argan oil on your lips and the area around it every day before going to bed. The essential fatty acids and antioxidants of the oil will work on keeping your lips moisturized, soft and smooth.
- Avoid long-term sun exposure.
- Quit pursing your lips. Those who are prone to serious expressions and pursed lips to express emotions are likely to have wrinkled lips.
Knowing what causes the early onset of lip wrinkles can help you take prevention measures. Act now and keep smiling.