For some, life is all about having fun. This is the reason why few people follow overall good lifestyles. Some may be winning the fight against smoking but there is a long way to go on weight, diet, and exercise. Yet practicing these healthy lifestyles can significantly delay aging and reduce the risk of developing diseases such as heart disease and strokes, cancer, bone disorders, arthritis and depression.
How to live life in the healthy lane
We have all heard about life in the fast lane. How exciting it must be! But we have also heard of the negative health effects of this unhealthy lifestyle. Perhaps we should be stressing how much more fun it is being healthy. When you feel young and healthy, you will be able to do all the fun things you want to do.
- Drinking in moderation is said to be good for your cardiovascular health according to some studies. However, its negative effects overshadow its benefits. Alcohols make you retain fluids and pack calories.
- Quit smoking. Smoking is the leading cause of cancer and respiratory disease. This fact alone tells you that anything that can kill is not good for you or any of your body parts. Smoking destroys collagen and elastin and causes wrinkles, fine lines and skin discolorations.
- Make whole grain foods part of your regular diet. Studies show that eating whole grains reduces the risk of developing chronic diseases. Health benefits of whole grain foods include reduced risk of stroke, diabetes and heart disease. The fiber in this food group promotes better weight maintenance.
- Eat fruits and vegetables that are rich in antioxidants. Dark leafy greens and colorful vegetables such as tomatoes, grapes and berries contain antioxidants that help fight aging. Experts recommend that you eat at least 5 servings of vegetables and fruits every day.
- Eat more omega-3s. These essential fatty acids are found in salmon, flaxseed and argan oil which help heal dry skin and boost hydration to keep skin supple and firm. Eating fish at least once a week also reduces your risk of having a fatal heart attack. Argan oil is probably one of the healthiest oil in the market today. This oil from the southern parts of Morocco is packed with unsaturated fatty acids, vitamin E and antioxidants that help maintain your health. Stay away from deep fried foods and try using argan oil in stif-fried dishes. Grill meats and vegetables and drizzle this oil for a healthy flavor boost.
- Come on and get moving. Exercising for at least 30 minutes a day can mean a lot of difference in your overall health and appearance. Exercise improves blood circulation and promotes a glowing and youthful complexion. No need to go to the gym if you are too busy. You can walk to the park during lunch hour. Or take the stairs instead of waiting for the elevator. Exercise also strengthens bones.
How exciting it must be on the fast lane. But is it healthy?