Frustrated about just how unsightly your cracked nails
are? Aside from being unsightly, cracked nails
can become painful at times. The best way to address brittle nails
that are prone to cracking is to first have an understanding on what’s causing this problem.
What Causes Nails to Crack
A considerable percentage of people suffer from brittle and cracked nails. Women and older people are prone to having this nail problem. So what causes cracking of the nails? Cracked nails
are usually caused by external factors such as nail polish and or nail polish remover. Spending lots of time swimming or soaking your hands in water for a long time can also cause nails to crack.
Preventing Cracked Nails
Here are tips on how you can prevent your nails from cracking.
- Trim your nails. You can limit damage as well as prevent your nails from cracking by trimming them. Use a file to shorten them and round on the sides. You don’t need to file that often since nails don’t grow that fast. Each month, your nails grow about 3 millimeters on average.
- Keep them moisturized. Dry nails are prone to cracking. So make sure that you keep your cuticles and nails moisturized. The Argan oil is an excellent nail and cuticle moisturizer as it is rich in Vitamin E, essential fatty acids and Sterols, all having potent moisturizing properties. The oil also contains antioxidants such as Vitamin E, Carotenoids, Ferulic acid and Prostaglandins. Antioxidants are known to protect against free radical damage and your nails can get a good battering from free radicals. The antioxidants found in Argan oil may offer the nails protection from the damaging effects of free radicals. Every night, coat each nail with a drop of the oil and massage gently covering the cuticles as well. You can also deep moisturize the nails and cuticles by soaking them in the oil mixed with lemon juice for about 15-30 minutes.
- Avoid handling harsh chemicals. Some cleaning products contain harsh ingredients that can dry out the nails and cause them to crack. Cleaning products including dish washing liquid soaps contain strong and harsh chemicals that dry out the nails, making them brittle and prone to cracking. Of course, the solution is to not clean your home and leave your dirty dishes on the sink. What you can do is find gentler cleaning products. There are ecofriendly cleaning products available in the market without these harsh chemicals.
- Consider wearing gloves. If you can’t help having your nails exposed to chemicals or water, consider using a pair of gloves to keep your nails protected. A pair of rubber gloves with a cotton lining is ideal.
- Cut back on nail polish and polish remover use. Polishing your nails too often can lead to brittle nails and cause them to crack as many nail polishes contain harsh and even toxic ingredients. Using a nail polish remover can also do the same. If you can’t help it, at least use a gentle type of nail polish and an acetone-free nail polish remover.
If you want to avoid sporting a set of brittle nails
that is prone to cracking, follow these nail care
Like our Facebook page
and share this post to your friends.