We are all too familiar with the saying mothers know best. This is true but not all the time. We all know that our moms (the good ones) mean well and they want the best for us but sometimes they can be wrong. Here is a collection of advices from moms that did not turn out for the best. However we still love you moms for trying to lookout for us and wishing us well.
Mom told me…
- To not remove facial hair – Your mom probably told you that removing your facial hair will cause it to grow back really thick like those hair you see on your dad’s legs. It probably took you until college days to remove your hair and to your surprise your hair did not grow back thick.
- It is okay to pop your pimples – Some mothers even pop their daughter’s pimples. My mom did pop a few pimples of mine when I was beginning my puberty days until I told her to stop. I read in a book that popping pimples will only damage your skin tissue and cause scarring. True enough my mom’s pimple popping days did leave their scars. Thankfully the scars disappeared with the help of a dermatologist.
- To not use moisturiser since I have oily skin type – Thankfully when I reached college I met friends who gave me better skin care tips than my mother did. If you are looking for a good moisturiser try the Argan oil. Argan oil has Vitamin E, Sterols, essential unsaturated fatty acids, Polyphenols, Ferulic acid, Carotenoids and Prostaglandins. These components of the oil give it its moisturising and anti aging properties.
- To not use conditioner for my hair – It’s great that sometimes we do not really listen to what our moms say. Even when she said no to conditioner I insisted on conditioning my hair and to no surprise my hair was frizzy no more.
- To cover my freckles with make up – This is definitely something that I followed and felt really good about at first since my freckles were no longer visible. After a week of covering my freckles with make up pimples started popping out. I stopped using make up and eventually my pimples disappeared and stopped coming out.
- Unibrow is beautiful – I think my mother was a fan of Frida. Although she is a great artist the unibrow is just not for me.
- Wear sunscreen lotion only when you are going to the beach – We all now know that every time we leave our house we need to apply sunscreen protection. If it is extremely hot you need to reapply sunscreen lotion. My mom however told me to avoid being under the sun from 10 am until about 3 pm and this advice I know is good for me.
- For that pinkish glow pinch your cheeks – Your mom may have told you this trick but this is actually bad for the skin. The skin is continuously exposed to elements which give it a good battering and pinching would be another form of battering.
If your mom told you these things and you still follow them do yourself a favour and stop. Our moms may want the best things for us but sometimes they can miss the spot.