Whether you call it acne, zits or pimples, one thing is for sure, you are definitely not happy to have them. A teen’s worst nightmare is pimples starting to pop out. However acne in teens is only normal as puberty causes hormonal changes and this hormonal imbalance triggers breakouts. However adults also still experience this skin problem
Many myths about acne have been spread. In our quest to get rid of our acne, we became desperate enough to believe everything that almost anyone tells us. Check and see if you have been believing some of the most popular acne myths! Hopefully we will clear up these myths and eventually your skin as well.
- The fastest way to get rid of pimples is popping or squeezing them! This is definitely a myth! Don’t believe anyone who tells you that this is the fastest way for pimples to go away and become less noticeable. Popping pimples actually pushes dirt and bacteria under the skin therefore you are making things worse by popping or squeezing them. This could also lead to permanent acne scars as the skin tissues get damaged as you squeeze and pop.
- Your acne will clear up if you spend more time under the sun. This is a dangerous myth that some of us still believe in. Basking under the sun does not have any good effect on your acne. In fact, this can even harm your skin further. The sun’s Ultra Violet rays can damage the skin tremendously. Prolonged and unprotected exposure to the sun’s rays can lead to sunburn, wrinkles and fine lines. And you should be more concerned about the fact that this can also lead to skin cancer. You should see to it that your skin is protected from the sun’s UV rays every time you head outdoors. Apply sunscreen lotion and wear protective clothing when heading out. It is best to avoid being out in the sun for a long time especially between the hours of 9am – 2 pm.
- Washing your face more often will help clear up acne. Washing your face daily is a great skin care routine but washing more than twice a day is a bad idea. Over washing your face would strip the skin off its natural protective layer called the acid mantle. This makes the skin dry and easily irritated therefore making your acne situation worse. Don’t scrub your face too hard and avoid exfoliants as they can irritate your pimples further.
So how did you do? Have you been actually believing in a myth? Now for some great news! Here are tips that can help get rid of acne.
Tips to Get Rid of Acne
- Keep your skin moisturized. Dry skin can cause your glands to overproduce sebum to compromise for the skin’s lack of oil. An excellent moisturizer to use is the Argan oil.
- Keep your hands clean.
- Keep your hair clean and make sure that your hair stays away from your face.
- Consult a dermatologist. Dermatologists are experts when it comes to the skin and solving skin woes.
- Eat a healthy diet and keep active.