The ends of your hair are obviously the oldest part of the hair strand thus they are most prone to being split. Split ends happen when the cuticle that protects the hair shaft becomes damaged and split. The bad news is the split can unravel and travel up the hair shaft and cause further damage. Hair with split ends looks dry and dull.
What causes split ends?
Hair with split ends is broken hair, thus, it is damaged hair. Before you can begin to treat your hair, it is best to identify what causes the break. Here are some of the more common causes of split ends.
- Excessive brushing
- Use of products that contain harsh chemicals including perms, dyes and straightening lotions
- Excessive use of hair appliances such as hair dryers, flat irons, curling irons
- Lack of regular trim schedule
So what can you do?
Unfortunately, there is no real and permanent cure for split ends. For years, the usual treatment for split ends is to chop them off. But wouldn’t you feel silly constantly going back to your stylist just to trim your split ends? The best way is for you to prevent split ends and stop them on their tracks (or their way up your hair). Here are some tips for you to follow.
- Over-washing can strip away your hair’s natural protective oils. Hot water also affects your hair in the same manner. Wash your hair with warm water and mild shampoo at least once a day to remove dirt and grime that have accumulated during the day.
- Pat your hair dry with a soft towel after washing. Rubbing your hair creates friction which can damage the hair shaft and cause it to break.
- Use a wide-toothed comb to untangle knots from your hair, especially after washing. Wet hair is vulnerable. Tugging and yanking at the knots on your hair can cause hair to break and split at the ends.
- Avoid using heat appliances to style your hair as much as you can. Hot styling tools dry up the hair. Let your hair dry naturally. Or use a low setting on your hair dryers, curling and flat irons.
- Avoid using elastic bands, Velcro and metal clips on your hair. These accessories pull at the hair when removed.
- Avoid alcohol based hair styling and hair care products. Alcohol dries out the hair and makes it more prone to splitting.
- Use Argan oil, an effective moisturizer from Morocco. Dry hair splits faster thus it is critical that you keep your hair moisturized. The oil is packed with nutrients that seal the moisture in and nourish hair. Argan oil also contains antioxidants which provide anti-aging benefits.
- The sun can dry out your hair and make it brittle. Wear a scarf or a hat to cover your hair when going outside to protect it from the sun.
- Trim your hair about every 6 weeks to cut away the split ends.