We all are very familiar with acne and some of us may have been too familiar with it. Acne, medically known as acne vulgaris is a skin condition that involves the oil glands. It usually affects teenagers as during puberty, the sebaceous glands or oil glands start going on overdrive.
While acne is in no way dangerous, it can leave behind very nasty scars which of course we don’t want to wear voluntarily. Acne usually appears on the face, neck, back, chest and shoulders.
Types of Acne
When acne is mentioned, we usually think about those pesky red pimples the pop out just when we have a big thing going on such as a date, an interview, a wedding, a family gathering and other occasions wherein you’ll be socializing with other people. We all want to look our best when we socialize and pimples is not exactly what we want to wear with our outfit. But acne has many types. Let’s discuss them.
- Whiteheads – Whiteheads are very small and they remain under the skin.
- Blackheads – They are very visible. These are the black tiny spots you see on the skin’s surface. Some people think dirt is the culprit behind blackheads so their solution is to scrub the face vigorously. Doing this will not help get rid of blackheads but rather irritate the skin.
- Papules – These are the small, pink bumps you see on the surface of your skin.
- Pustules – Now these are the type which is red at the base and with pus at the top.
- Nobules – These are large and solid pimples. They are embedded deep into the skin and are usually painful.
- Cysts – Cysts are the type of acne that many of us would love to be spared from. They are not only painful but they are filled with pus too. Cysts are the ones that can cause scarring easily. Though it is very tempting to squeeze and pick on them to drain the pus out, doing so will only make things worse for your skin and you’ll end up with deeper scars.
So what causes acne? Up until today, the debate about the causes of acne is still ongoing. No one is certain just yet what causes this skin condition. However, many experts believe that the primary cause is the spike in levels of a type of hormone called androgen. The levels of androgen rise up dramatically when one hits adolescent. Rising levels of androgen results in overproduction of the skin’s natural oils or sebum and too much sebum can break down the cellular walls in the skin’s pores which cause bacteria to grow and cause acne.
Can Argan Oil Help Beat Acne?
There are plenty of anti-acne products out in the market. One skin care product that is rumored to help fight this skin problem is Argan oil. But is it true? As mentioned, many experts agree that overproduction of sebum can cause acne. It is believed that eating foods high in essential fatty acids can help fight acne as EFAs help bring down overproduction of sebum at a manageable level. The oil may help in fighting mild cases of acne as the oil contains a high amount of essential fatty acids. The oil is composed of more than 80% fatty acids.
Like our Facebook page and share this information to your friends!