Cooler temperatures are just days away. Time for some hearty soups! You may be a fan of instant soups or soups in a can but nothing beats that hearty taste and comfort of homemade soups.
If you think that making a soup from scratch would be too hard or time consuming, you are definitely mistaken. You can make a hearty soup from scratch in just 35 minutes! Check out this carrot soup with scones recipe!
First for the scones…
- Plain Flour – 250 grams of plain flour and a littl bit extra for dusting.
- Baking Powder – A teaspoon is enough.
- Caraway or Fennel Seeds – You’ll need them toasted and you’ll need a teaspoon.
- Egg – Just a small one.
- Buttermilk – 100 ml
Now for the soup!
- Olive Oil -You’ll need just a tablespoon.
- Onion – You’ll need a large one, grated.
- Carrots – About 675 grams of carrots is enough. Grate them
- Ginger – A 3-cm piece is good. Peel and grate it.
- Clear Honey – A tabespoon is enough.
- Vegetable Stock – Get the 900 ml.
- Parsley – Get the flat-leaf parsley. You’ll need 4 tablespoons.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil – 3 tablespoons
- Lemon Juice – Just a tablespoon.
- Double Cream – 4 tablespoons is enough.
- culinary Argan oil – Drizzle on soup right before serving to give you that healthy dose of antioxidants and unsaturated essential fatty acids!
Now, let’s get cooking. Let’s start with the scones.
- First, you’ll need to sieve the flour then get a large bowl to mix the flour, baking powder and a pinch of salt. Also stir in the fennel seeds or if you used caraway, then stir that in.
- In another bowl, whisk well the egg and buttermilk. Once done, go back to your flour mixture and dig a well in the middle of it. Pour in slowly the egg mixture in the well and with your hands start mixing then start kneading a soft dough.
- Dust a clean, flat surface such as your working table with flour. Roll the dough into a ball and then flatten it until it’s 2-3 cm thick. Cut it into 4 parts.
- Heat a pan or a griddle. Once heated, start cooking the scones. Remember to cook the scones in medium heat, each side for about 3-4 minutes until the scones are golden all over. Set aside.
Now for the soup…
- In low heat, heat a large sauce pan with olive oil. Add in onions and carrots. Cook them for 2-3 minutes. Add in ginger and honey and then the stock. Stir and let it boil.
- Once it boils, lower your heat and let it simmer for 3-4 minutes. Season with lemon juice, salt and for that earthy zing, some ground black pepper.
- Let the parsley leaves soak in boiling water for 3 minutes. Drain and wash in tap water then put them in a food processor. Add a good splash of olive oil and a pinch of salt then puree it.
- For a smoother texture of the soup, process it in a blender too.
- Reheat the soup and then put in a dash of the cream, stir well. Ladle some soup into bowls. Give ach bowl a drizzle of the left over cream, pureed parsley and the culinary Argan oil!
- Serve the scones on the side!