Do not be intimidated by its diverse flavor, this dish is quite easy to make! Not your traditional paella– this is the paella with sizzling lime chicken drizzled with one of the healthiest oils, Argan oil. The oil contains high levels of vitamin e, antioxidants and essential fatty acids. This healthier paella version is sure to excite your taste buds and the rest of your body healthy. So you can enjoy this meal knowing that you are digesting good food rather than junk.
(Prepare the night before)
- 1/4 c lemon juice
- 1/4 c lime juice
- A pinch of white pepper
- A dash of Salt
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Place chicken breasts in a bowl. Add both of the juices. Sprinkle generously with fresh ground white pepper. Cover bowl with cling wrap. Turn chicken pieces every couple of minutes during the marinade. Drain and grill chicken each side for about 2-3 mins. Slice chicken into thin strips to make bite-sized pieces. Cover and set aside.
Main dish: Paella
- 1 green Bell pepper, diced
- 1 red Bell pepper, diced
- 1 c sliced button mushrooms
- ¾ cup peas and carrots
- 1 whole garlic, minced
- 1/2 lemon, sliced into thin rounds
- ½ lemon
- 1 pound prepared saffron rice mix
- 1 red onion, sliced into thin rounds
- 1 can diced tomatoes, drained (14 ounce can)
- 2 cans chicken broth (14 ounce can)
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 tbsp Argan Oil
- 3 tbsp Olive oil
- 2 tbsp minced parsley
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Place iron skillet lid in the oven to preheat.
- Heat the skillet pan on the stove. Sauté onions, peppers, parsley and mushrooms in olive oil. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add the vegetables, be sure to stir frequently, cook until tender, but do not overcook. Add the garlic, peas and carrots. Remove and place into a bowl. Separate a couple of the pepper strips for garnish, set aside in a different bowl. Cover all bowls in cling wrap to keep warm.
- Add the broth and water to the still hot skillet and bring to a boil, add white wine. Cook the packet of saffron rice and its seasoning. Once cooked reduce heat to a simmer. Cover with the preheated skillet lid from the oven for 5-10 mins.
- After resting the saffron rice, remove the lid and add the cooked vegetables and chicken pieces. Mix well. Squeeze half a lemon over the mixed rice. Now to decorate, arrange the pepper strips, green and red alternately on top of the rice mixture. Replace the lid. Bake in the oven for an additional 20 minutes. This will cook the paella through nicely.
- Remove from oven. Drizzle with 2 tbs of Argan Oil. Decorate the top with the lemon slices and sprinkle with the remaining chopped parsley.