Hanukkah is near! Jewish families all over the globe will once again come together to celebrate the festival of lights. It is once again time to light the holiday menorah and enjoy the company of loved ones and give and receive love. A Hanukkah celebration is not complete without a feast. So roll up your sleeves and start planning your menu for this wonderful tradition!
Hanukkah Main Dish: Roasted Chicken
Here’s a great recipe for your main dish! This simple recipe for roast chicken will tickle the taste buds of your loved ones. Although you need a day to marinate the chicken, prep time will only take 15 minutes and cooking time is just an hour. Let’s get on with the ingredients you need to shop for!
The recipe we have is for 6 servings. Make the necessary adjustments if you are serving for more.
- Chicken – If you are serving for 6 people, a whole chicken measuring 4 pounds is good.
- Salt – 2 teaspoons of salt is enough.
- Sugar – Go for the white sugar. You just need 1 teaspoon.
- Cloves – You will need just about 1/8 of a teaspoon of ground cloves.
- All spice – Same as the cloves. Have about 1/8 of a teaspoon grounded.
- Nutmeg – You will also need 1/8 of a teaspoon of ground nutmeg.
- Ground Cinnamon – 1/8 of a teaspoon is enough.
- Garlic – Crush 5 cloves of garlic.
These ingredients are so easy to find so you won’t have any trouble finding any of them in your local supermarket. Now that you have your ingredients ready, it is time to start prepping!
Get your kids to help you out in preparing this dish! You can always use an extra pair of hands! Here’s an easy step by step guide on how to prepare your roast chicken for Hanukkah.
- Step Number 1. Grab a bowl and start mixing your salt, sugar, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg and cloves. Put in the chicken and start rubbing the spice mixture all over the bird. Cover and then put inside the fridge. Marinate for a day so that all the flavors seep into the meat.
- Step Number 2. Take the chicken out the fridge and start preheating your oven to 500 degrees Fahrenheit or 260 degrees Celsius.
- Step Number 3. Place the crushed garlic inside the cavity of the chicken. Place your rack in the roasting pan and then place the chicken on the rack with the breast facing down.
- Step Number 4. Start reducing the heat of your oven. Set it to 450 degrees Fahrenheit or 230 degrees Celsius. The next thing to do is to place the chicken in the pre-heated oven and roast for about 15 minutes. Using the pan drippings, baste the meat. Bring down the oven’s heat to 425 degrees Fahrenheit or 220 degrees Celsius. Get on with the roasting again for half an hour gradually reducing the heat to 180 degrees Fahrenheit or 85 degrees Celsius.
The chicken roast is all set and ready to be served. Let is stand first for 20 minutes before putting it on the table! Happy Hanukkah!
Share this recipe to your friends using your Facebook, Twitter or email!