The skin has a protective pigmentation called melanin. Melanin helps to protect the body from the harmful ultraviolet rays of the sun. When the body’s melanin has been exposed to too much sunlight or UV rays, inflammation of the skin develops. This skin inflammation caused by over exposure to the sun is called sunburn.
Sunburns are very painful. The pain and effects of sunburn would greatly depend on the extent of skin damage. Extreme sunburns should automatically be brought to the hospital for check-up. Slight to moderate sunburns on the other hand although painful as well will usually heal in a couple of weeks. However, there are several natural treatments that could be used to help relieve the pain while sunburn heals.
TIPS ON RELIEVING SUNBURN PAINS
- Cool down the sunburn. To help cool down the burnt part of your skin, apply a cold compress or take a cool bath. These will give a cooling effect and help to relieve the pain.
- Hydrate your body and your skin. It will help if you keep your body hydrated by drinking plenty of water. Drinking enough water will help to relieve pain and to prevent further sunburns.
- Pain relievers will be of help. These are over the counter medications such as aspirin that helps to reduce the soreness, inflammation, and pain caused by sunburns.
- Apply creams. Pain relieving creams and lotions such as those that have aloe vera in them, moisturizing creams, and hydrocortisone creams will help to lessen the pain.
- Do not take out the blisters. If your skin begins to blister, do not pick the blisters off from your skin. Breaking the blisters delays the healing process and encourages infection to occur. If you can put a gauze bandage over the blisters to help protect them that would be better.
- Natural products may also be of big help. Natural products just like argan oil will help to cool down the skin, moisturize, and encourage new skin to grow. Argan oil has all the necessary nutrients to help keep skin protected from infections and all the necessary components to heal. A few drops of argan oil lightly applied onto sunburned skin will help relieve swelling and inflammation.
- Increasing the vitamins in your body will also be of help. Vitamins like Vitamin A, Vitamin C, and Vitamin E will help your skin recover from the sunburn.
- Baking soda when taking a shower will also help. Mix baking soda with cool water and pour over the affected area. This will help relive the sunburn naturally.
- Whole-fat milk will give great results. Naturally relieving your sunburn will also be possible with whole fat milk. Soak a piece of cloth in milk and apply this to the affected area. Rinse off after 20 minutes and feel a whole lot better.
If you’re looking for sunburn treatments, the above mentioned tips will help you relieve pain caused by sunburns in no time.