If natural elements such as dry winds and extreme temperatures give the skin a harsh beating, there are a few more things that do the same harsh battering and speed up the process of skin aging. Let us find out what these things are and what you can do to counter their effects.
Factors that Contribute to Skin Aging
Skin aging is going to set in whether you like it or not. It’s only a matter of time. However, there are factors that speed up the process of skin aging.
- Pollution – Pollution causes the production of free radicals and if you have been reading our blog, you already know how free radicals wreak havoc on the skin. Free radicals destroy collagen and elastin, which are responsible for giving your skin its texture, resilience, structure and flexibility. Damage to your skin’s elastin and collagen result to wrinkles, fine lines, and saggy skin.
- Sugar – Most of us are familiar with free radicals caused by external factors. But the truth is, free radicals can also be produced internally via the process of glycation. So what is glycation? Glycation is a process that results from chronic or repeated exposure to glucose. In simpler terms, it is a result of a diet that is too high in sugar. Glycation makes your collagen fibers prone to breakage as it causes them to lose their elasticity. This results to visible signs of skin aging.
- Hormones – Menopause causes changes in the levels of estrogen which triggers significant changes within the skin. How does estrogen affect the skin? Estrogen influences the skin’s thickness, moisture, and wrinkling. A drop in one’s estrogen levels results in the slowing down of the production of new skin cells. This in turn results to the thinning of the layers of the skin. When the skin’s layers thin out, the skin is unable to maintain hydration, elasticity and firmness. You will learn more about taking care of your skin and hair during menopause in our latest article.
Now that you know some of the things that hasten skin aging, here are some anti-aging tips to fight off these skin spoilers.
- Eat more antioxidants! That’s right! Feeding your body with antioxidants is an effective anti-aging weapon. Antioxidants fight off free radicals before they can start wreaking havoc in your skin and the entire body. Include colorful vegetables in your meals such as carrots, spinach, and fruits such as citrus fruits, strawberries, and dark berries as they are loaded with antioxidants.
- Apply fruit masks! Applying fruit masks can help keep your skin smooth and supple. There are numerous fruits loaded with antioxidants that you can easily turn into a fruit mask. Avocado is an example of antioxidant-packed fruit that you can easily turn into a facial mask. It is a potent moisturizer thanks to its natural oils and Vitamin E. Simply mash up a ripe avocado and voila, you have your very own fruit mask. Simply apply on your face by patting it on evenly. Leave it on for about 15 to 20 minutes then rinse with water.
Use Argan Oil
Argan oil is a wonderful anti-aging product. It is loaded with antioxidants such as Vitamin E, Carotenoids, Ferulic acid, and Polyphenols. Argan oil also comes with great moisturizing prowess thanks to its essential fatty acids, vitamin E, and sterols. Follow these tips for a healthy, smooth, supple, and youthful skin. Like our Facebook page and share this information to your friends!