The argan oil comes from the argan tree which is indigenous to Southwest Morocco. The argan tree is called “the tree of life” by the natives of Morocco because of three basic reasons: the wood of this tree can be used in many ways; the tree itself protects their land from soil erosion; and the fruit being harvested from this tree gives employment to millions of their people. While the tree is called “the tree of life”, the oil is called “liquid gold”.
Argan oil is called “liquid gold” for many reasons. To make it short and sweet though, this name has been given to argan oil because of its many gold like qualities. Its benefits to man are many and its uses are countless.
Better than Olive Oil
- Argan oil’s antioxidants are chart breaking. It has more than twice the amount of Vitamin E than olive oil.
- It is 80% unsaturated with 8 essential fatty acids. These are all wonderful for reducing swelling and pain. These also help in blood circulation.
- This oil is helpful for people who have rheumatoid arthritis as it has anti-inflammatory properties.
- This oil is well known to treat skin problems like acne and chicken pox.
A Wonder of a Beauty Product
- Argan oil has anti-aging properties that prevents, lessens, and removes unwanted lines and wrinkles.
- It helps to improve the quality and shine of hair.
- It treats dry and scaly skin.
- It strengthens and beautifies the nails.
- It is an excellent moisturizer for the whole body.
- It helps protect the skin from the sun.
- It is good in removing scars and stretch marks.
- It lowers cholesterol.
- It lowers blood pressure.
- It prevents arteriosclerosis and heart problems.
- It treats varicose veins and rheumatism.
Great for Cooking
- It has a unique and to die for nutty flavor.
- It has a lovely color and smell that chefs look for.
- Great as salad dressing, bread ingredient, and to add to any dish you are cooking.
HARVESTING THE FRUIT
Berber women (the natives of Morocco) beat the branches of the tree using long poles to shake the fruits and allow them to fall. These fruits are then sun dried and then cracked between two rocks. This allows for the almond like nuts to be exposed. These nuts are either roasted (for edible argan oil) or directly crushed and kneaded to get the oil (for cosmetic argan oil).
PROTECTING THEIR RESOURCES
Because argan oil is now in high demand all over the world, the Moroccan Government with the help of the natives and women cooperatives are planting new argan trees and protecting the trees that they already have. They have devised ways on how to be able to supply the world with this astonishing oil while not putting their trees in danger. This is the reason why argan oil remains to be one of the best oils in the market today. Cooperatives and the government make it certain that only good quality argan oil is made from their products.