Women are very busy these days with their careers, their families or both. Most of the time because of women’s very hectic schedules their health is set aside. Living healthy can be hard these days but with great dedication and discipline healthy living becomes easier to achieve.
When you want to start living healthy one of the first things you need to address is your diet. A well balanced diet is essential in keeping the body healthy. But did you know that men and women have some difference in their dietary needs. Men and women also have issues unique to them. If you are a woman who wants to start leading a healthy life, here is a list of food groups that you should be eating more of!
Essential Food for Women
- Figs – Figs are packed with iron and calcium. Often times women who are menstruating lack iron. Calcium is also necessary for women as they are more prone to osteoporosis especially after menopause.
- Flax seeds – Breast cancer is more common to women but it is important to note that men can also get breast cancer. Flax seeds contain a good amount of Omega-3 fatty acids which is believed to lessen one’s risk in developing breast cancer and heart disease. These seeds also contain anti-inflammatory properties which can prevent arthritis. Flax seeds are also known for helping against irritable bowel syndrome. Arthritis and irritable bowel syndrome are more common to women.
- Milk – Got milk? You may have seen many celebrities endorsing this ad and you should only follow their lead. Milk is loaded with calcium and as discussed earlier women needs calcium as they are more prone to osteoporosis. Also some milk products have Vitamin D added in them and calcium plus Vitamin D is a wonderful combination. Such combination is helpful in preventing osteoporosis as well as easing and preventing the painful symptoms of PMS.
- Salmon – There are loads of benefits from salmon for women. Salmon is packed with iron and omega-3 fatty acids. Premenopausal women needs iron. Omega-3 fatty acids do not just help prevent breast cancer and heart diseases but they also can improve one’s mood and prevent mood swings. Some studies have suggested that Omega-3 fatty acids can defeat depression and it is a fact that depression affects more women than men. Eating salmon while pregnant is also ideal as Omega-3 fatty acids are known to boost brain development which helps in babies’ intelligence.
- Spinach – You may have remembered your mother forcing to feed you with spinach when you were younger and your mother is right to make you eat this leafy green. Spinach has a high content of magnesium which can lessen the painful symptoms that come with PMS such as swelling, tenderness of brain, bloating as well as weight gain. Spinach is also packed with potent antioxidants (Vitamins A and C), fiber and folic acid which help control cancer. It is also loaded with flavanoids which help prevent against memory loss associated with age and lutein which helps prevent cataract and age related macular degeneration.
- Culinary Moroccan Argan Oil – This oil is packed with Vitamin E, unsaturated fatty acids and other antioxidants. Add this healthy oil as a drizzle to your grilled meat, fish and fresh salads!