Hate having to wear dry flaky skin? Don’t despair as there are plenty of things that you can do to get a smooth and supple skin. Most of the time, all you need to do is tweak your daily skin care routine.
4 Skin Care Tips for Dry Flaky Skin
1. Avoid long hot showers or bath. – Hot water can strip your skin of your natural oils really quick making it dry. Water itself, even in room or warm temperature can rob the skin of its natural oils so best to just do your showers and baths quickly. It is best to keep your shower or bathe time around 5-10 minutes only every day.
2. Choose a gentle cleanser or shower gel with moisturizer. – Some cleansers or shower gels are too harsh. Milder ones are usually unscented and soap-free. When going for soap cleansers, see to it that you pick a mild one. Plant-based cleansers are free from harsh chemicals so it would be best to use them especially if you are suffering from dry flaky skin.
3. Moisturize your skin while it is still damp. – After your shower or bath, pat your skin with a clean and dry towel. While the skin is still moist, apply a moisturizer to effectively lock in moisture.
Use a potent moisturizer like Argan oil. It is highly recommended that you use a very potent moisturizer like Argan oil for dry flaky skin. The oil is loaded with nutrients having moisturizing properties such as Vitamin E, essential fatty acids, Polyphenols as well as sterols.
4. Lather on sunscreen. – To avoid damaging the skin which would eventually dry it out, make sure that you lather on sunscreen lotion every day. Use a sunscreen lotion with a Sun Protection Factor or SPF of 30. It is also best to choose one having broad spectrum protection.
Lifestyle Tips to Soothe Dry Flaky Skin
Here are a few lifestyle adjustments that you can do to relieve and sooth dry flaky skin.
- During the colder months, plug in a humidifier in your home to combat dry indoor air.
- Wear clothing that won’t irritate the skin. Cotton and other natural fibers are your best picks.
- Keep your skin moisturized from the inside by drinking plenty of water. You should also avoid carbonated drinks as well as alcoholic and caffeine-filled beverages as they tend to dehydrate the body and therefore dehydrating the skin.
- Give your diet a make-over if it does not include foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids. Omega 3 fatty acids are potent moisturizers as they help fortify your skin’s natural oil-retaining barriers. So make sure that you have foods rich in Omega 3 in your meals. The best sources of omega 3 are cold-water fish such as salmon, sardines and trout as well as seeds and nuts.
Follow these tips and say goodbye to dry flaky skin in no time.
Like our Facebook page and share this post to your friends.