Mussels are excellent source of protein! These members of the bivalvia mollusca family are found to be low in calories and fat, they also contain a high number of vitamins and minerals which are easy on the stomach and are easily digested, not to mention they are very inexpensive. Definitely a good value for your money.
In addition to protein-rich mussels, another healthy ingredient in this recipe is Argan oil. The oil is rich in antioxidants and is a high source of essential fatty acids omega 3 and omega 6, as well as vitamin E. Taken internally, it will stimulate and effectively balance your digestive system, it is also said to help ease arthritis, stabilize sugar levels in your blood, and boost your immune system. With the countless health benefits of the oil, one cannot help but wonder if it can be added to the diet. Of course you can! The oil together with other strong antioxidants like garlic and pepper then you are sure to help reduce cholesterol levels and flush out toxins in the body at the same time enjoy a very filling and flavorful meal!
Are you ready for a sweet taste of the summer’s freshest catch? Then ready your apron, heat up the stove, bang those pots and pans together as loud as you can, as we take a culinary trip to the seafood heavens with this heart and healthy dish!
This awesome recipe serves: 4 seafaring lads and lassies!
Cooking Time: 25 min
- 500 g mussels, scrubbed clean and de-bearded
- 6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tsp chopped garlic
- 4 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 tsp. pepper, freshly grated or dried pepper flakes if you like the heat
- 1 ¼ c washed and dried basil leaves in strips
- 3 tbsp 100% Argan oil
- 450 g Angel hair spaghetti, or any kind of pasta will do
- A dash of Salt
- Cook angel hair pasta, follow package directions, and add salt to taste. Drain but Save pasta stock.
- Submerge mussels in pasta stock, bring it to a boil. Cook for 3-5 mins or until mussel shells open. Drain but set aside half a cup of pasta and mussel stock.
- Over low fire warm skillet. Sauté minced garlic in olive oil, add clams, pour pasta and mussel stock, let simmer for 5 mins. Add mussel mixture to pasta. Toss with minced parsley, basil, freshly grated pepper and parmesan.
- Drizzle with Argan oil. Serve Immediately.
Notes: You can choose to cook the mussels and remove flesh from shells then add to the pasta separately. It is up to you if you want to serve them with its shells intact. For added flavor instead of pasta stock you can also use white wine. Clams can be used also in lieu of mussels.