With the holidays fast approaching, people are also preparing their tummies to binge on delicious food. Strings of parties, family gatherings and reunions are just around the corner and for sure, sinful dishes are hard to resist.
People often make Christmas or any other holiday their excuse to eat to their heart’s content. And while sharing delightful food is a significant part of the merriment, you should still balance the dishes that you lay out on the dinner table.
It is good to buffer those sinful meat dishes with healthy salads and entrees. And healthy does not necessarily mean boring. Prepare dishes that the whole family can enjoy by adding flavorful ingredients that perk up the taste buds. One good example of this ingredient is the oil from Morocco.
Argan oil is a rare Moroccan oil with a slight hint of nutty flavor. It is usually added as a drizzle on grilled meat dishes, salads and soups. This ingredient is becoming increasingly popular in the culinary world because besides adding a unique flavor to food, it also offers a number of benefits to the body.
So, why don’t your try preparing these healthy and delicious dinner recipes for Christmas? Aside from feeding your family with delectable food, you are also doing them a big favor by providing them with nutritious food.
Appetizer: Prawn Cocktail
This classic starter is refreshing and healthy at the same time. Combine king prawns with medium to
small prawns for a good mix of taste and texture.
- about 2 lbs of prawns, cooked and unpeeled
- 1 lettuce, thinly sliced
- 1 grapefruit, peeled and chopped
- fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- lime, thinly sliced for garnish
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- coriander, chopped
- 1 red chili, chopped and deseeded
- 2 tbsp of lemon juice
- 2 tbsp of Argan oil
- 2 tsp of apricot jam
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine all the dressing ingredients and place in a food processor. Blend until smooth. Transfer in a mixing bowl and chill inside the refrigerator.
- When dinner is about to start, mix the cooked prawns and the chilled dressing.
- Add the grapefruit and lettuce and mix the ingredients evenly.
- Garnish with coriander and lime slices.
Entree: Poached Salmon
A whole poached salmon creates a sensation centerpiece for the Christmas table. And its fresh and lush
meat is quick to satisfy hungry tummies.
- 1 whole fresh salmon
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 tbsp of white wine vinegar
- 1 lemon or lime
- salt and pepper to taste
- few drops of Argan oil
- Put the salmon in a roasting tin or fish kettle and cover the entire fish with cold water.
- Add the onion, bay leaves, vinegar and lemon/lime.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover the tin and bring to a boil.
- Once it is boiling, turn off the heat and let the fish stand until the water cools down.
- Remove the salmon and put on a serving board. Remove the skin.
- Add a few drops of Argan oil to flavor.
- You can serve this with lemon slices for a good play of flavor.
With these recipes, you are sure to have delicious and healthy holiday dinners the whole year round.