You’re probably wondering if the sun is a friend or a foe. Because of vitamin D, the sun is the skin’s friend. However, when exposed to extreme sunlight under long periods of time, the sun can cause severe and painful damage to the skin. Therefore, overexposure to the harmful UV rays of the sun makes the sun a foe. Here are healthy steps on how you can balance a friend and a foe in trying to give your skin only the best. Protect your skin with these healthy steps.
- Let your shadow be your guide as to how intense the rays of the sun are. The shorter the shadow you have, the more dangerous and strong the sun is. The rule is pretty simple, if your shadow is shorter than you are – seek shade!
LIMIT SUN EXPOSURE
- When you’re out, make sure to limit sun exposure to 30 minutes. This will give you enough time to acquire Vitamin D from the sun while not putting your skin at risk.
AVOID THE STRONG RAYS
- The sun’s rays are strongest from 10:00 am until 4:00 pm. Avoid being exposed to the sun during these hours as your skin will get toasted. When you cannot avoid it being exposed during these times, make sure to protect your skin. Use an umbrella and shades of trees. During summer, stay indoors if you can.
AVOID TANNING SALONS
- Fake baking your skin is as bad as baking your skin in the harsh rays of the sun. Tanning booths use artificial UVA radiation that is said to trigger the most common skin cancers – squamous and basal cell carcinomas. Tanning salons also promote premature wrinkling of the skin, making your skin age faster than it should.
CHECK SKIN SPOTS
- Look into your skin spots and be watchful for any changes or growth. Any change or new growth merits the attention of a dermatologist. Have spots checked right away.
- Sunscreen is an essential sun protector. Look for one that at least has an SPF of 15. This will assure you of longer lasting protection than sunscreens with a lower SPF.
ARGAN OIL PROTECTION
- A natural moisturizer and sun protector in one, argan oil is known for its rich content of vitamins and fatty acids. These help protect skin from the harmful UV rays of the sun while providing the right nutrients the skin needs. Daily application of the oil will keep your skin glowing and healthy while making sure that the skin is protected from the sun.
Because the sun is both a friend and a foe, it pays to learn how to deal with it correctly. Get the maximum benefits from the sun by limiting your exposure. Protect your skin from the sun by using sunscreens and umbrellas. Don’t fake bake your skin. And give your skin the nutrients and protection it needs by using 100% natural argan oil daily.