As the days start to get colder, dry flaky skin will become more prevalent. The good news is you can prevent suffering from dry, itchy and flaking skin even in the coldest weather. We have listed some skin care tips here for the colder months designed to prevent dry flaky skin.
Tips for Preventing Dry Flaky Skin
1. Add oil to your bath water. This simple trick does wonders! Adding a few drops of oil to your bath water can keep it well moisturized all throughout the day. You can use Argan oil, jojoba oil, hazelnut oil, almond oil, or even olive oil. All you need is a few tablespoons. Remember though to soak in the bath water first for at least 5 minutes before adding the oil of your choice so keep the oil handy. Soaking your skin first means it gets plumped up and when you add the oil, the skin will easily absorb and seal in moisture.
2. Keep the skin protected from the elements. The sun, cold, heat and wind can cause your skin to dry up or make your dry flaky skin worse. A dry office as well as airplane air do the same. It is best to lather on a moisturizer first before exposing your skin to conditions that can dry up the skin. Argan oil is one of the best skin moisturizers available. It contains a high amount of nutrients having moisturizing prowess such as Vitamin E, essential fatty acids and Sterols. Keep your bottle of moisturizer handy so you can reapply whenever needed.
3. Boost your intake of essential fatty acids. Omega -3 are essential fatty acids that help keep the skin moisturized. Include food sources packed with Omega-3 in your diet such as cod-water fish, nuts, and seeds.
4. Go for gentle cleansers. Cleansers that are too strong can make your skin feel dry. Avoid cleansers with fragrance or harsh abrasives. It is best to go for moisturizing soaps, soap-free products, or gentle cleansers that are grain-based.
5. Avoid hot water contact. Yes, the days may be getting colder and you don’t want to freeze while showering or bathing. But you don’t have to use scalding hot water as this will give you dry flaky skin. Have quick warm showers and baths instead. On colder months, it is best to just wash your face once, and it is best to do it before going to bed. In the morning, you can just apply an herbal facial splash or toner or just use an aromatic hydrosol to spritz your face with.
6. Drink up more water. Increase your water intake to keep your body hydrated which in turn will keep the skin hydrated. If you smoke, consider quitting this unhealthy habit as it also dries up the skin. Limit your caffeine and alcohol intake as they also will suck your skin dry.
Give your skin care regimen a revamp this colder days and adopt these tips to prevent dry flaky skin.
Like our Facebook page and share this post to your friends.