is characterized by patches of itchy, painful and red skin with silver scales. This skin condition is caused when the immune system triggers a response when it is not supposed to causing faster skin cell turnover. This accelerated rate of skin cell turnover then results to dead skin cells accumulating on the epidermis creating thick layers of skin.
Medical experts have not yet pinpointed the very cause of this skin disorder
but many are in consensus that there are numerous factors contributing to the development of psoriasis
. Although genes do play a role in psoriasis
, it is not automatic that one would get it if one or both parents suffer from this condition.
More Information on Psoriasis
is not in any way contagious so one should not fear being in the same room or even having contact with a person with this skin condition. People who have psoriasis
will have to deal with bouts of on and off flare-ups. This skin disorder is chronic meaning that it is a lifelong skin disorder
. Many psoriasis patients feel a tremendous amount of stress because of the uncomfortable symptoms of the skin condition which is aggravated by the stigma associated with it.
The uncomfortable symptoms of psoriasis
include intense itching, outbreaks of scaly patches of skin and sometimes even pain that is so intense some have reported even being awoken from sleep.
5 Types of Psoriasis
This skin disorder
comes in 5 types.
- Erythrodermic Psoriasis – This is one of the most common type and also one of the most serious types of psoriasis since it causes an increase in blood flows which can cause strain to the heart. It is characterized by large patches of skin covering most areas of the body or the entire body at once.
- Glutate Psoriasis – With this type, small pinkish to red patches start developing over large areas of the skin usually the arms and legs.
- Inverse Psoriasis – This type of the skin disorder usually affects the insides of the folds of the skin like the armpits, or the skin underneath the breasts. Sweat and friction can make matters worse.
- Plaque Psoriasis – This is the most common type. With plaque psoriasis, patches are large and usually have an oval shape. These patches are very itchy and quite painful as well.
- Pustular Psoriasis – This is the rarest type. It is characterized by reddish patches with tiny white bumps filled with fluid.
Can Argan Oil Be Helpful in Preventing Psoriasis from Flaring Up?
There is insufficient study done on the effectiveness of Argan oil
in controlling the symptoms of psoriasis
. As of present there is only anecdotal evidence about the oil’s ability to soothe the uncomfortable symptoms of psoriasis. Some psoriatic patients share that regular application of the oil resulted to less frequent flare ups while some also share that the oil gives relief during flare-ups. Regular application of Argan oil
may prevent flare-ups since the oil has moisturizing properties. One of the main keys to preventing psoriasis from flaring up is keeping the skin moisturized.
It is always best to consult your dermatologist for advice and recommendations on psoriasis treatments