Collagen is crucial to keep your skin looking and feeling youthful. You may have noticed that anti-aging products have this obsession with collagen. What is collagen exactly? How do you make sure that your skin gets enough collagen as you age? Let’s find out!
Collagen is a protein fiber made up of specific amino acids Glycine, Proline, Hydroxyproline and Arginine. About 30% of the proteins in are body is made up of collagen and about 75% of the skin is made up of collagen. So what does this protein do? Collagen gives support to the skin and is responsible for giving it elasticity and suppleness. However as we mature collagen starts degrading. In fact the degradation in collagen starts even before we start feeling old. Before we knew it, wrinkles, fine lines and sagging skin become a reality we have to deal with way earlier than we hoped for.
Building Up Your Collagen
Numerous topical anti-aging beauty products can help build up your collagen. But for a more effective collagen build-up, one should start eating foods that help build collagen. Doing so will help prevent collagen loss and the early onset of skin aging. So which foods should be included in your daily meals?
Here’s a list of some foods that are at the top of the collagen-building chart!
Foods for Collagen Building
- Kiwis – Kiwis are great for building up collagen. This is because these brown on the outside green on the inside fruits are packed with Vitamin C. Vitamin C promotes collagen synthesis. Plus, Vitamin C is an antioxidant which means that it has the ability to neutralize free radicals which damage collagen and another protein fiber that gives the skin its elasticity we call elastin.
- Oysters – Some people love them while some hate them. If you are not too fond of oysters, here’s one reason why you should start loving them. Oysters are rich in zinc and protein which are two essential nutrients in collagen building!
- Yogurt – Yogurt is not just good for your immune system and digestion. It is actually great for your skin too. Yogurt can help keep your skin looking and feeling young since it is a good source of riboflavin. What does riboflavin do? It promotes collagen synthesis like Vitamin C! An added bonus is the fact that yogurt is also a great source of protein and protein is crucial in collagen build-up.
- Salmon – This fish is not just a healthy food. It is also a beauty food. Packed with protein and low in saturated fat, salmon is great for collagen-building.
- Blueberries – You have got to munch on these blue babies if you are serious about keeping your skin youthful. Not only do they come loaded with Vitamin C, they also have the antioxidant referred to as anthocyanins. This antioxidant makes the connective tissues found in your skin stronger.
Eat up on these collagen-building foods to prevent the early onset of skin aging!
Share this beauty post to everyone you know! Ask your friends to like our Facebook page and we’ll keep giving you tips on beauty and health!