Food is essential to survive. Every human being and living creature needs sustenance to grow. Unfortunately though not everything you can eat is good for you. Also unfortunate is the fact that there are some foods that are actually terrible for you. If you’re a beauty and health buff and you’d like to know more about these foods, read on and you might just learn a thing or two about food.
Food for the skin
Don’t wait until it’s too late. It is important for you to eat right to have good skin! Similar to eating right to get the right figure, eating right will also allow you to have great skin. So here are a few facts about the food you love to eat. Which ones are good for you and your skin and which ones are not?
Food that is good for your skin
- Yogurt – one of the best dairy products created by man, yogurt contains vitamin A that gives both clear and vibrant skin. Vitamin A also does wonders in keeping the immune system strong.
- Salmon – fish in itself is a healthy food. Salmon is a type of fish that helps your skin more than other fish though. You see salmon is rich in omega 3 fatty acids that keep cell membranes healthy. Not only this. Omega 3 fatty acids help keep skin cells strong making it do its functions well.
- Almonds – rich in monounsaturated fats that keep the body low in cholesterol, almonds are also rich in vitamin E that works well for the skin by keeping cell membranes intact.
- Blueberries – although fruits in general are good for the skin, blueberries give extra goodness. A serving of blueberries have a higher content of antioxidants than other berries or other fruits. Antioxidants keep the skin cells healthy and young looking.
- Spinach – the famous Pop-Eye did himself right by eating a lot of spinach. Aside from antioxidants, spinach is also rich in beta-carotene, lutein, potassium, fiber, and folate which helps restore damaged skin cells.
- Argan oil – argan oil is an all natural oil that has all the good stuff you skin needs. Extremely rich in essential fatty acids, antioxidants, and vitamin E that keeps the skin young and wrinkle-free, argan oil is better known as “liquid gold”. It not only keeps the skin young it also keeps the skin healthy and vibrant.
Terrible food for your skin
- Candy – candy is not only bad for your teeth but also for your skin. Too much sugar contained in candy causes dull skin and wrinkles. It does these by damaging elastin and collagen. Two important properties that keep skin young and firm.
- Salt – known to increase blood pressure, is also known to promote acne.
- High glycemic foods – similar to salt, foods like white bread, pasta, and cakes are also known to promote acne.
Knowing which foods are good and bad for your skin will help you care for your skin. It is not enough that you have the best skin treatments money can buy, if your diet does not include the good stuff and if your diet has a lot of bad stuff then your skin will show it.