In the beauty world, organic products are creating much buzz. This is because the potential health hazards associated with toxic chemicals popularly found in traditional beauty and personal care products is already out. Consumers are now aware that the labels such as “hypoallergenic”, “herbal”, “gentle”, or “all natural” have no actual value.
Because of the high demand for organic personal care products, some cosmetic companies have started placing organic labels in their products even if they are not organic. This means that there are products out there with an organic label but still has toxic chemicals in them. Since the cosmetics industry is not regulated by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, this means that products are not tested for ingredients and finished products are not tested for safety before they start occupying shelves in numerous stores.
However, cosmetics companies are required to list down the ingredients of their products and by checking the ingredients of products, you would be able to tell if they do not contain harmful ingredients or they do. So even if you see an organic label on a product, don’t skip reading its ingredients. Parabens, Phthalates, Formaldehyde, DEA, MEA, TEA, BHA and BHT are some of the most common toxic ingredients in personal care products.
The best way to make sure that no toxic ingredient goes into your body through your skin care products is to make your own skin care products using nothing but safe and natural ingredients. Want an organic cleanser as well as an organic toner?
Cleanser: What You Will Need
- Grape Seed Oil – You’ll need 2 oz. Best to go with organic.
- Sesame Oil – Again go for organic. You’ll need about 5 tsp.
- Wheat Germ Oil – Look for organic. You’ll need 2 tsp.
- Organic Lavender Oil – You’ll need 4 drops.
- Chamomile Essential Oils – You need just one drop.
- Dark Colored Bottle – This is for storage. Make sure that you use one that has a tight lid.
- Grab a small bowl and start mixing the grape seed oil, sesame oil and wheat germ oil.
- Add 4 drops of the lavender oil and a drop of chamomile essential oils and mix thoroughly.
- Once mixed well, store the liquid in a bottle. Use a dark-colored one with a tight lid. Keep it out of direct sunlight.
Toner: What You Will Need
- Distilled Water – 2/3 cup
- Aloe Vera Gel – 1/3 cup
- Cypress Essential Oil – 2 drops
- Argan oil – 2 drops
- Glass Bottle – For storing the toner.
- In a bowl, start mixing the water and aloe vera gel. Mix them well.
- Add in 2 drops of cypress essential oil and 2 drops of Argan oil. Stir and mix well.
- Once done mixing, pour in the mixture into a glass bottle and place it inside your fridge.
Extra Tip: In using the toner, apply it on your face using a cotton ball or cotton pad and let it air dry. Once dry, apply moisturizer to your face.
Excited to give this DIY project a try?
Keep asking your friends to like our Facebook page and we’ll keep posting more health and beauty tips!