One of the most common nail problems is split, cracked or brittle nails. Imagine how bad you felt when you had patiently grown your nails long so you could show off a great nail art design when one morning you woke up with a cracked nail. Ouch!
Brittle nails are caused by at least several factors, among which is aging (a natural process), a medical condition, improper nail care or lack of a nail care routine. This condition is manifested by dry, cracking or splitting nails, slow growth and weak, easily breakable nails.
Read on to learn how you can strengthen your nails in 5 easy steps.
- Step 1. Take off the nail polishWhile nail polish makes your nails look pretty, they can cause your nails permanent harm. Your nail polish obstructs oxygen flow into your nails and makes it difficult for them to breathe. When you leave your polish too long, your nails become brittle and stained. Do not let your polish stay on for longer than 10 days. It is best to allow your nails to breath in between nail polish applications.
- Step 2. Eat healthyYour nail problems may be due to lack of nutrients such as vitamins B and C, proteins, iron and Zinc. Eat a balanced diet to ensure your body and your nails are getting the right amount of nutrients to sustain a healthy growth. There are also vitamin supplements that you can take but it is always best to consult a doctor before taking in any medication.
- Step 3. Stay out of the waterConstant exposure of your nails to water weakens the nails and makes them brittle. Avoid washing your hands too often and never use hot water. Wear gloves when performing household chores to prevent your nails from becoming soaked in water. The gloves will also protect your nails from getting caught on objects that might cause splitting or cracking.
- Step 4. Keep nails moisturizedAs is often the case with brittle nails, lack of moisture is the main culprit. Moisturizers are easily available in pharmacies and drugstores. There are even super moisturizers available which contain vitamin E, oils and butters that can provide excellent moisturizing to nails.
- Step 5. Massage nails with Argan oilArgan oil is one super moisturizer to use. The oil is 100% natural and is loaded with vitamin E and essential fatty acids that help protect and nurture your nails. Massage Argan oil on your nail beds and the skin surrounding your nails at night before going to bed. Let your nails soak in the nourishing goodness of the oil and wake up each day with healthy and beautiful nails.
Because your nails say a lot about you, keeping your nails strong and healthy is a must.