Seasonal changes can take a toll on your skin and you would start seeing signs of skin damage or skin problems arising as the Earth moves around the sun and the new season turns up. The change in humidity, temperature and weather conditions plus exposure to the mighty sun will definitely give your skin some good battering.
The main skin issue during the cold months of winter is dry and cracked skin. The main culprits for this skin problem are the sudden drop in temperature, lower humidity and heating indoors. These 3 factors rob the skin of its natural moisture resulting to dry and cracked skin.
So what should you do when the winter season comes around? Here are some winter skin care tips to ensure that your skin remains healthy and beautiful.
Winter Caring for the Skin
- Keep the skin moisturised! Since the cold, low humidity and indoor heating plus biting winds will strip the skin of its essential oils serving as its natural moisture you should replenish the moisture lost. Use Argan oil as your daily moisturiser. It is packed with components that moisturise, nourish and protect the skin from aging. It is advisable that you apply moisturiser to the skin after you take a shower or bath. See to it that you pat your skin dry with a towel and not rub the towel against your skin. After about 3 minutes, apply the Argan oil to moisturise the skin.
- Say no to long hot showers and long hot baths! Long hot showers and hot baths may seem very relaxing but this is very harsh to the skin. The hot water will strip your skin of its essential oils resulting to dry and itchy skin. You should only use tepid water in your showers or baths and give yourself a maximum of 15 minutes in the shower or bath.
- Keep your body hydrated! Drink at least 8 glasses (8-ouncers) daily. Keeping the body hydrated means the skin is hydrated and moisturised. Refrain from drinking alcohol, carbonated drinks or caffeinated drinks as they would only dehydrate the body and rob the skin of its moisture.
- Protect the skin from the sun! You still need to keep your sunscreen lotion handy during the cold months of winter. In fact the habit of putting on sunscreen lotion should be a daily habit no matter what the season is and no matter what the weather condition is. The harsh UV rays of the sun can penetrate thick clouds and start damaging your skin. See to it that you use a sunscreen lotion with SPF of at least 15 or higher. Apply on the skin at least 15 minutes before heading out. You also need to remember that the snow reflects at least 80% of the harmful UV rays so don’t ever think you can do without your sunscreen lotion during the winter season.
- Use a humidifier inside your house! This will raise the humidity in your home and keep your skin protected and healthy.
The winter season is no excuse to have bad skin. Follow these winter skin care tips to keep your skin healthy and protected from the harsh elements.