Everyone experiences their share of bad hair days, even movie stars and supermodels. But if you are having bad hair days every day, then it is about time that you pay attention to what your hair is telling you. Frizz, hair fall, hair loss, oily hair, dry hair, itchy scalp and dandruff are just a few examples of hair problems that you encounter day after day. Surely, you don’t want these hair problems to be part of your regular day!
Hair Care Basics
Knowing how to take care of your hair can help you avoid having bad hair days altogether. Follow these basic hair care tips and say hello to beautiful hair every day.
- Cut your hair regularly. What’s the use of letting your hair grow long if it is unhealthy? Have your hair trimmed regularly to remove split ends and damaged hair shafts. Get a cut that complements your hair type and shows off your hair’s full potential. But the most common problem is when left on your own, you cannot recreate the new look. Getting a new hairstyle shouldn’t stop at your stylist’s chair.
- Use hair care products correctly. Your hair is delicate and some hair care products may contain harsh chemicals that can damage it. Knowing your hair type will help you choose hair care products suitable for your hair.
- Be gentle! Whether straight or curly, wet hair is more vulnerable to damage. Use a wide toothed comb to avoid friction when combing your hair. Avoid putting anything on your hair that will cause damage when removed like Velcro and rubber bands. Do not yank or pull hair as it can weaken the roots and damage the follicle leading to hair loss. Protect roots from stress by gently removing knots and tangles.
- Clean and condition! Comb out the tangles of your hair before wetting it. Choose a mild shampoo that you can use as often as you need it. Wash hair with warm water. Never wash hair with hot or cold water as it strips off the natural protective oils from your hair. Use conditioners to help keep your hair smooth, shiny and beautiful. Massage a few drops of argan oil onto your hair and scalp. Argan oil is naturally rich in essential fatty acids that give your hair a healthy dose of moisture without leaving a greasy feeling. This wonderful oil also helps you manage frizz and keeps your hair from getting dull. Argan oil is also packed with Vitamin E and anti-oxidants which help revive and renew damage caused by heat, oxidation or over-styling.
- Eat healthy! Dull and lifeless hair can be a result of poor diet. Whatever you eat is reflected in your entire body including your hair.Eat foods that are rich in nutrients such as omega-3. Stay away from food groups that include unhealthy saturated and trans fat. Start using unsaturated fats in your dishes. Include fish such as salmon, sardines and tuna in your daily menu. These foods are excellent sources of the essential fatty acid, omega-3.
Your hair’s health is a reflection of your overall health, thus making it important that you should take care of your hair not only to look good but to ensure that you are in good health.