Italian cuisine is perhaps one of the most popular cuisines in the world. Its main characteristic is its utmost simplicity, with most dishes having only at most eight ingredients.
Italian cooks are more particular on the quality of the ingredients rather than on complex preparations and techniques. Many remarkable dishes are more often the masterpiece of homemakers, grandmothers and the generations before them, rather than of professional chefs. This is why Italian recipes are big among home cooks.
Simple, rustic and heartwarming – these are the words that best describe Italian cooking. Using the common ingredients that characterize the cuisine such as tomatoes, olive oil, potatoes and cheese, modern cooks have successfully incorporated modern twists to famous Italian dishes.
Modern Take On Traditional Italian Dishes
Now, you can prepare traditional recipes using new ingredients. While the food acquires some bit of modern zing, it does not lose its soul and essence. One example of doing this is by using the popular Argan oil as flavor enhancer.
Argan oil, with its light nutty flavor, is commonly used as a drizzle on salads, meat dishes and even some soups. Aside from adding a refreshing flavor to food, it also brings a lot of health benefits to the body.
It can be utilized as a dietary supplement to maintain normal bodily functions. It also protects the system from various heart diseases and inflammatory disorders. According to some recent research, Argan oil has even the potential to reduce cholesterol levels.
Easy Italian Dinner Recipes
Now why don’t you try cooking these simple dinner ideas at home? These recipes are perfect for those people who do not have the luxury to cook meals for three hours or so, yet want great tasting and healthy dishes that they can serve to their families at the end of the day.
The ingredients are simple, easy to find and relatively inexpensive. And best of all, they are healthy and great tasting too!
Mussels And Tomatoes
- 1 kilo fresh mussels
- 2 medium onions, minced
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 5 ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 5 teaspoons Olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1-2 tsp of Argan oil (for drizzle)
- Clean the live mussels thoroughly and soak them in cold water.
- In a thick saucepan, heat the Olive oil.
- Saute the onion, garlic and tomatoes.
- Add the clean mussels and season with salt and pepper.
- When the mussels are cooked through, transfer to a serving plate and garnish with coriander.
- Drizzle with Argan oil for that extra nutty flavour
- Serve with pasta or fresh bread.
Cod With Herbs
- 2 fresh cods, preferably filleted
- 1 ripe tomato, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar or sherry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Argan oil
- 4 tbsp of Olive oil(for frying the cod)
- fresh chopped parsley
- fresh chopped tarragon
- fresh dill
- salt and pepper to taste
- Mix the chopped herbs and tomato in a bowl.
- Add the vinegar and Argan oil. Toss lightly and set aside.
- Heat some olive oil in a pan. Fry the cod. Do not overcook.
- Place the cod on a plate. Add the herb mixture. Season to taste.
- Serve with vegetables or pearl potatoes.