There are certain steps that you can take to make your tattoo or permanent make up stay at its best. Here are some of the tips we have gathered from skin doctors.
Skin Care Tips for Tattooed Skin
- If you’re heading outdoors, make sure that you apply sunscreen all over the skin including the tattoo. The sun’s UV light can actually cause some tattoo inks to fade. For utmost protection of both your skin and your tattoo, choose a sunscreen with broad spectrum protection. It should be able to protect you from both UVA and UVB rays and it should have at least an SPF (Sun Protection Factor) of 30. A water resistant sunscreen is also recommended. You should also remember to wait 20 minutes after applying sunscreen before bolting out the door. For those who have permanent make up on their lips, a lip balm with UVA and UVB protection and with an SPF of at least 30 is highly recommended. Those who have permanent eyeliner are advised to wear wide-brimmed hats to protect the permanent make up from the damaging effects of the sun.
- One must be very attentive to their tattooed skin as rashes and sun-burn like reactions can happen. A freshly tattooed skin can be really sensitive. If you had a scraped knee before, the pain is almost similar with newly tattooed skin. UV light whether from the sun or tanning beds can heighten sensitivity and discomfort. Some people can experience feeling a sunburn-like pain on the skin with tattoo. Yellow as well as red ink have been noted to react with UV light but other colors can also react when exposed to UV light. If you have noticed such a reaction, you may use a clothing to cover your tattooed skin with before bolting out the door.
- If you love tanning beds and sunlamps, you should consider cutting the time you spend in them or completely forego using them. There are two reasons why you should consider doing this. The first one is to avoid increasing your risk of skin cancer and the second reason is that UV light can actually cause the inks to fade out. Some inks can actually have a reaction with UV light which causes the skin to become painful.
- If it happens that your tattooed skin starts feeling dry, apply lotion or cream on it. However avoid using any petroleum based products as they can fade out the ink. A water-based cream or lotion is more ideal. You can also use natural oils such as the Moroccan Argan oil to keep your tattooed skin moisturized. Argan oil comes with potent moisturizers therefore keeping the skin smooth. It also has antioxidants which are believed to protect the skin from harmful elements such as UV rays at the same time.
- If ever you see any skin reaction or any changes on your tattooed skin, it is best to make an appointment with your skin doctor right away. It is possible that your skin is having a bad reaction to the tattoo ink. Keep in mind that a reaction can happen right after you get a tattoo or years later. Go to your dermatologist to have the problem diagnosed and so treatment can immediately start.
Like our Facebook page and share this post to your friends.