What are the effects of stress
on the skin?
Ever noticed how all sorts of skin problems
arise when you are under a lot of stress
? When you are stressed out, your skin becomes more sensitive and reactive which is caused by a chemical response of the body to stress. When under stress, the skin also takes more time and more difficult to heal.
Effects of Stress on the Skin
Many of us have experienced having break outs when under stress
. If you are wondering why, the reason is an increase in cortisol (a stress
hormone) and other hormones in the body. More cortisol and other hormones trigger the sebaceous glands to produce more of its natural oil called sebum. Excessive sebum has long been suspected to be one of the factors that cause acne
and various other skin problems
Here are a few more effects of stress
on the skin.
- It can make skin problems worse. People suffering from skin conditions such as psoriasis, rosacea and eczema usually experience flare-ups when under stress. Hives and many forms of skin rashes can happen when you are stressed out. It is also possible for stress to trigger a flare-up of fever blisters.
- Some people, when stressed out, forget about or forego their daily skin care routine which in turn worsens the skin problems they have.
- Dealing with skin problems itself can be stressful. Some skin issues can lower one’s self confidence. Many people dealing with a certain type of skin disorder such as psoriasis are embarrassed of their disorder and usually isolate themselves from others. This can heighten stress and worsen the problem.
These are just a few effects of stress
on the skin. If you are noticing that your skin problems
keep worsening or keep coming back whenever you are stressed, you might want to reconsider how you handle stressful situations.
How to Lessen the Effects of Stress on the Skin
- Stress is a part of life. It would be impossible to avoid it entirely. But of course, there are ways for you to handle stressful situations better.
- Try your very best to not neglect your skin when you are feeling tired and stressed. Think of your skin care regimen as a way to de-stress.
- See to it that you exercise regularly. Exercise helps keep the mind and body healthy including the skin.
- Find the time to do something that you love every single day. If you love reading books, go and spend even 10 minutes reading. Indulge in a warm bath or perhaps have a chat with your friends or loved ones. You can also have 10 minutes of alone time with nothing but peace and quiet or perhaps a relaxing music playing on the background.
- It is also important to get enough sleep every night. 6-8 hours of sleep is ideal.
- Learn how to say NO. You can’t do everything trying to do so will only stress you out.
These are just a few ways on how you can handle stress
better and limit its effects on your skin.
Like our Facebook page
and share this post to your friends.