Summertime calls for refreshing meals and salads would once again be gracing the tables more often. Salads are refreshing, light and healthy. With the intense heat we would feel from the sun during the days of summer we would definitely need all the refreshments we can.
Most leafy greens and fruits contain water in them. This is the reason why they are so refreshing to the body. Keeping your meals light and healthy is also ideal during this season of hot and very hot days. You don’t want to keep on munching on those fast food meals drenched in oil as you would feel too heavy and lazy to go outdoors and enjoy the glory of the summer season. You might even feel dizzy from all that oil and unhealthy fats and of course they can take a toll on your health. So if you want to keep on enjoying all the summer fun you do, you better start eating healthy right now.
Summer Salmon Salad
- Salmon – You’ll need 2 cups of cooked salmon flakes. Salmon is a great source of protein and Omega 3. Protein keeps our bones strong while Omega 3 is great for the heart as well as the brain.
- Eggs – 2 medium size will do. You’ll need them hard-boiled and crushed or sliced. Not only are eggs a good source of protein, they also contain Vitamin H or biotin. Biotin is specifically found in the yolk. Biotin is essential in maintaining the energy supply in your nerve cells, the efficient use of sugar as well as keeping the skin, hair and nails healthy.
- Bell Pepper – Just one is enough. You’ll need to dice the bell pepper. Bell peppers are packed with Vitamin C which is a potent antioxidant meaning it protects the body from damaging effects of free radicals. Vitamin C also boosts the immune system and keeps our teeth and bones healthy.
- Cucumber – Peel and seed 1 cucumber then dice it. Cucumbers are packed with Potassium, Vitamin K and numerous antioxidants.
- Onions – Half a cup of chopped onions is enough. Onions is loaded with Vitamin C.
- Lemon – Half a lemon, juiced is enough. Lemons are another great source of Vitamin C.
- Moroccan Argan Oil – You’ll need about 2 – 3 tablespoons. This will serve as a drizzle. The Moroccan Argan oil is very healthy as it contains Vitamin E and unsaturated essential fatty acids or Omega 3 and Omega 6. Vitamin E is a potent antioxidant and beneficial for the skin, hair and nails. Its essential unsaturated fatty acids help lower cholesterol levels, aid in brain development as well as maintain reproductive health.
- Lettuce – Lettuce is a good source of Vitamins C, K, A, B1, B2, folic acid, manganese and chromium.
- Salt and Pepper – To taste.
Get a bowl and start tossing together the salmon flakes and crushed or sliced hard boiled eggs. You’ll need another bowl to mix the bell pepper, cucumber and onions. Season with salt and pepper and then stir for a good mix. Once done, pour this mixture over the salmon and then squeeze the lemon juice in and drizzle with the Argan oil. Don’t forget to toss. Lastly serve the salmon salad over lettuce!