What are the 5 most common skin disorders? Let’s discuss them one by one.
The Most Common Skin Disorders
1. Acne – This is the most common skin disorder. There are many factors that cause acne. Experts agree that hormonal imbalance can have a major role in this skin disorder. Whiteheads and blackheads are considered the most commonly known or most popular type of acne. The more severe types are nodular and cystic acne. They form deep into the skin and can cause scarring. Acne is most common in teens however it can persist and affect people even in their adult years.There are various treatments including prescription and over the counter medications in the form of pills, creams and lotion. Some also make use of natural treatments such as fruit extracts and essential oils.
2. Eczema – Eczema is actually a general term for inflammation of the skin. The term is from the Greek word for “boils over”. Eczema has three common types; atopic dermatitis, allergic contact dermatitis and nummural dermatitis. The most common type is atopic dermatitis and often affects children. Allergic contact dermatitis generally appears in adulthood. Environmental factors are usually to blame for it such as fragrances, cosmetics and metals used for jewelry. Nummular dermatitis causes coin-shaped patches of reddish and flaky skin. This type of eczema is due to dry skin and can be extremely itchy. Keeping the skin moisturized is a key in controlling the symptoms of eczema.
3. Seborrheic Dermatitis – This skin disorder affects the scalp. It causes the scalp to develop patches of oily and waxy skin making it unique from other types of eczema. Babies in their first six months can be affected by seborrheic dermatitis which is often referred to as “cradle cap” wherein the scalp is flaky. The symptoms eventually clears up and often only reappaers during puberty.
4. Skin Cancer – In the United States, skin cancer ranks as the most common kind of cancer. The most common types are basal cell carcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma. However, melanoma which ranks third as the most common type of skin cancer is the deadliest of them all. Melanoma accounts for roughly 75% of skin cancer deaths. Skin cancer can be prevented with proper skin protection practices. Early detection is also crucial in curing the disease which is why it is important for people to undergo skin cancer screening at least once a year.
5. Psoriasis – Psoriasis is a chronic skin condition meaning it is a lifelong condition. It can have periods of flare-ups and a period where its symptoms go away. Commonly areas affected are the elbows and knees but it can appear in any area of the skin including the scalp. In some cases, psoriasis can also affect the joints. Psoriasis is caused by a malfunction in the immune system triggering excess buildup of skin tissue that appears red thick and seemingly covered with silver scales. Keeping the skin moisturized is a key in preventing flare-ups. Psoriasis is not in any way contagious.
These are the 5 most common skin disorders.
Like our Facebook page and share this post to your friends.