You would often see skin care products bragging about having antioxidants. But do you know what antioxidants are or how they benefit your skin? The truth is antioxidants benefit more than just your skin. We get quite a lot of health benefits from antioxidants!
Health Benefits of Antioxidants
Did you know that antioxidants work in every cell of the body?
- Antioxidants have been reported by many people to make their resistance against colds and flu stronger.
- Some give credit to antioxidants for their weight loss, higher levels of energy, asthma and allergy relief as well as better blood circulation.
- Quite a lot of people also report improved digestion, arthritis relief, reduced high blood pressure, better sleep, better focus, sharper memory and relief from menstrual symptoms because of antioxidants.
- It has also been reported that antioxidants can be helpful in controlling diabetes.
Antioxidants and Your Skin
- Our skin gets damaged from exposure to the elements. Take for example the sun’s ultra violet rays. Constant exposure to the sun’s rays from late morning especially noon time until about 3 or 4 in the afternoon can bring much damage to the skin. Antioxidants are helpful in reducing and repairing the damage brought about by such element exposure to the skin.
- Antioxidants are also helpful in improving the appearance of the skin. A healthy looking skin is what you would get once you start using regularly skin care products packed with antioxidants.
- Antioxidants have the power to prevent and delay the effects of aging on the skin. You would certainly notice that anti-aging skin care products would have antioxidants in them.
- Free radicals cause havoc in your skin. Free radicals are naturally occurring. Exposure to the elements results to the formation of free radicals. Free radicals are also produced by our bodies primarily through the metabolism process of the body. When we are stressed out, our bodies also produce free radicals which damage the skin. Antioxidants help repair and protect you from the damaging effects of free radicals.
Where You Can Get Antioxidants
Our bodies naturally produce the chemicals we call antioxidants as its defence against harmful agents. Numerous studies suggest that antioxidants protect the body from oxidative stress which is the number one cause of diseases that are degenerative such as cancer.
Many of our food sources are loaded with antioxidants. Fruits and vegetables are abundant with these chemicals so it is best that you serve yourself a plateful of them. Blueberries for example have a high content of antioxidants. Many leafy greens especially those with darker shade of green contain a high amount of these healthy chemicals. Nuts are also packed with antioxidants.
Argan Oil and Antioxidants
Argan oil is rich in antioxidants. This is one of the reasons why many are using this oil in their skin care regimen. The oil is extracted from the nuts of the Argan tree. Aside from its high levels of antioxidants it is also packed with other essential nutrients such as Vitamin E, Squalene, phenols and unsaturated essential fatty acids.