Are you stressing about your hair thinning and falling out? Well, the first thing you have to do is try to relax as stress can actually be the culprit behind your hair thinning or falling out. Hair loss can be hereditary, caused by stress, overstyling and many other factors.
Here are some important things you need to understand about hair and hair loss.
The average scalp holds about 100,000 hair strands and in a day we lose about 100 strands due to various factors. This is nothing to woryy about as this is just normal. On average a hair strand can last up to about 4 and a half years. After such, the hair falls out and then replaced by a new one in about 6 months.
Factors that Cause Hair Loss
- Hair Styling – It is almost a daily routine that we shampoo, brush and blow dry our hair. All of these things can cause a few hair strands to fall off.
- The Aging Process – When we hit the 30-year mark or even before, we start losing hair. Men and women alike start losing hair as the 3 decades of living sets in but it is often the men that lose hair at a faster rate.
– Genes play a major role in hair loss. The incorrect notion about hereditary hair loss is that people suffering from such genetic condition lose excessive amounts of hair. The truth is the amount of hair that grows back is not sufficient enough to replace those hair that have fallen out.
Genetics also play a role in baldness. More comonly it is the men that suffer from baldness more than the women. 1 out of 4 men reaching the age of 30 will be balding and at age 60 2 in 3 men are balding or already bald.
Hormones also play a role in hereditary baldness. Testosterone is the culprit hormone. Women who have higher levels of testosterone in their system tend to lose more hair or to be precise fail to regrow hair as they grow older. Such is the reason why more men suffer from pattern baldness.
Stress and Hair Loss
It is true that stress can lead to hair loss. Both excessive physical stress (such as injury, sickness or surgery) and emotional stress take a toll on the hair. There are two types of hair loss due to stress.
- Telogen Effluvium – Between the two this is the less severe type. What happens in this hair loss scenario is that the hair stops growing and become dormant and fall out after 2 to 3 months. The regrowth happens within 6 to 9 months.
- Alopecia Areata – In this hair loss scenario, a white blood cell attacks the follicles of the hair. People who suffer from this condition starts to have falling hair in patches (sometimes the entire scalp and also body hair) in a matter of weeks. Hair regrowth can happen naturally but treatment may be necessary.
Argan Oil and Hair Loss
If you are suffering from unnatural hair loss, you can apply Argan oil to your hair regularly. The Argan oil is packed with essential nutrients that nourish the hair roots and pores strengthening the hair. It also enhances the elasticity of hair and promotes hair growth.